Monday, May 10, 2010

Miniature Disaster

I thought I could survive living with Julio, my 3rd brother, when he came over to Singapore for further education. Seriously, I've lived with four of my brothers before I came to Singapore, so what a difference a brother makes, right?

I thought wrong. Suddenly, its like I've became a single dad overnight with a teenage son who bears no identical attributes with me or whatsoever. For years, I've heard of my friends' stories of how easy it is to get along with their siblings. To be honest, I think that's a myth.

I didn't expect it to be easy but I didn't expect it to be this hard either, especially dealing with a teenage brother. I have to be gentle with my words and be understanding that he's starting to adapt to a new environment in modern yet stifling Singapore.

Raise my voice a lil' just to assert my point and he'll claim that I'm shouting at him. Have him wash a few dishes and he'll grumble that I'm leaving all the chores to him.

My God~ then I'd like to hear what he got to say when I cleaned the entire bathroom with a pathetic toothbrush. It took me an entire hour and not to mention the funny thoughts my cousin have on me for staying in the bathroom for so long.

Last week, Julio went back Indonesia for the weekend and I took the chance to clean the entire room in the middle of the night when I got back from my part-time job. Guess what I was greeted with when he came home last night?

"Did you sweep the floor?"

No wonder my parents kept selling the ideas to him of coming over to Singapore for study like persistent insurance agents. Not only that, they intend to send two of my youngest brothers over to Singapore as well. Needless to say I'm responsible for taking care of them.

Did I mention the two of them like to wrestle in their free time? Oh God~ Have mercy on me.


Ph: Marcus Pritzi



"Shipped off to the city,
stripped of our tongues.
Now we live in a playground,
eating our young."

A Camp, Here Are Many Wild Animals.

No comments: